Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Am Not Proverbs 31

I have to admit I have had a like-dislike attitude towards the Proverbs 31 woman, maybe it's because she intimidated me. Her accolades are astonishing, her accomplishments are remarkable.
She dabbled in imports and exports. She was savvy with real estate. She started her own business, a vineyard and a seamstress. She is charitable, noble, wise, respected, honored, confident, calm and loved. Her husband was incredibly proud of her and she respected him greatly.
PHEW!

At times, I felt this was an impossible and unreachable feat. This passage crippled me.
I thought I would never be "her"...how could I ever be this woman of noble character. Children calling her blessed, her husband lacks nothing of value. I felt the polar opposite.

I must continue reading....verse 30.

".....the woman who fears the Lord..."

Fear-  (verb) regard with feelings of respect and reverence; consider or exalted or be in awe of.

She feared the Lord! This woman was obviously educated with the Word to be in awe of God. She considered Him, she dwelled upon Him, He was on the forethought of her mind. Could it be that she took His bread and consumed it, that she drank from the living water, to sustain her through all her endevers?
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4:13

It was through God, her faith in Him, her love for Him that she was able to do what she did.
Yes, people "praised" her...but God got the glory.
I realized that her accomplishments, her successes....were not hers, they are God's.
Isn't that why we do, what we do (should do)...to bring God the glory.

"I will show the holiness of my great name...." Ezekiel 36:23

In my own might, I am no Proverbs 31 woman...but in His might I can be. Not for my glory or for me to be praised, but for Him, for His Kingdom, so His holiness may be evident in the life I live, so that others may come to see His grace.

So today, and prayerfully everyday after...through Him, I will strive.

"Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for oursleves, but our competence comes from God." 2 Corithians 3:4-5




No comments:

Post a Comment